Thursday, June 30, 2005

Days

My grandfather, who passed away a couple years ago, had a debilitating stroke when he was still relatively young. This stroke caused him to quit working and basically be housebound for decades on end. Yet every year on my birthday he would call me and wish me a happy birthday. The last couple of years he called the day before my birthday, but still, that’s pretty close.

Why am I telling you this story? Because for the whole day today I thought it was Tuesday.

How is it that an old man who had no schedule whatsoever could keep track of the days and I can’t? It’s ridiculous.

Now, partly to blame is the fact that for the past month I’ve had no kind of set schedule whatsoever. Some days I was getting out of bed at 8 a.m. and some days I was going to bed at 8 a.m. That tends to mess with your internal calendar a bit. “I went to bed on Thursday, but when I woke up it was still Thursday. Then I went to work on Thursday, but didn’t get off work until Friday. What happened to Tuesday? And why we’re trying to figure that out see if you can figure out what happened to the month of June as well.”

It’s not very nice to your internal clock either. Since I wear hearing aides, and don’t wear them when I sleep, I can’t hear an alarm in the morning. So I just have to wake up. I have to set my internal clock, tell myself when to wake up and then just wake up. Don’t ask. I have no idea how it works. And yes. I am waiting for the day when I wake up and three days have passed without my knowing it.

On Monday morning of this week I popped up and had to think for a good 5 minutes about what day it was and where the hell I was supposed to be. It was morning time and I didn’t feel too tired, so I assumed I hadn’t just gone to bed, and I should probably be getting out of bed for something. But I had no idea what that something was. “Where are we shooting today? Probably the studio. What time? Well, what time did we get off yesterday? Wait, what was yesterday? Uh, all my muscles are sore, so yesterday I played soccer. So yesterday was Sunday. So today is Monday. Wait, we’re not shooting, we’re done shooting. We finished. Okay then where do I have to go? Someone somewhere needs me to do work – who is it? Oh, wait, someone needs something designed – who though? Oh, I remember. Meeting this morning about designing something wonderful. Hoping that by the time I finish getting dressed I will remember where the meeting is.”

Oh the life the hearing impaired and mentally slow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about??? Today IS Tuesday, silly. Or, at least it will be...soon.