Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Extra Extra

So the other day we are sitting around on the set, waiting for a shot to be set up. For all of you who have never been on a movie set before, that’s all that happens on them – waiting for shots to be set up. That and waiting for catering to show up with your next meal. It’s quite glamorous.

So because we are bored and have some 20 extras hanging around someone decides to make the extras entertain us. He asks the group of extras if any of them have any special talents they would like to share. One of them could juggle and one of them could do some weird spinning twisty thing that I’m assuming was supposed to be dancing, but looked more like he was just really really drunk. And then just when we were about to give up on the entertainment value of the extras two of them came running up and said, “We have swords. We can do a sword fight.”

What the?

Who has swords? Who sword fights? But more importantly - who cares? We’re bored. Go get the swords.

So these guys go running off and reemerge with some big ass friggin’ swords. (It is a bit unsettling that they were able to smuggle SWORDS onto the set and no one noticed.) And then they’re off! They are jumping and grunting and swinging and clanking. They have an entire routine choreographed in which they duel and eventually one of them wins and kills the other one with a quick slit to the stomach. Then the dead guy falls to the ground and dies. Very dramatically. And very slowly. Then they get up and take a bow.

This is by far the most random thing I’ve ever seen.

I love it.

Then these guys both pull out business cards with several of their pictures on them. In these pics they are kicking, leaping, swording – all sorts of fun stuff. One of my favorite poses has the guy backlit just like John Travolta on the Saturday Night Fever poster. Except this guy has his leg kicked in the air where John’s 1970’s disco arm is pointed in the movie poster. I kid you friggin not.

I am so in love with these guys.

Thank god I got their business cards for all my future sword-fighting, kung fu, kicking of ass needs.

If the catering guy is late again I’m going to put a call in. My sword fighters ought to clear that right up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you might have some alternate entertainment for your next party for yourself or your almost adopted daughter!

At least you have found another way to keep entertained on the movie set. I'm really glad the time is being used productively, those lighting setups are really important and I know you appreciate the detail of the setups to allow you to do completely nothing.

Sorry I haven't been responding, but I've been ill since Friday. I could write my own blog on how much it ruined my weekend, but this is not my blog page and I'm too lazy to create my own.