Monday, June 27, 2005

Preview

I was quite excited to be once again a part of the real world this weekend, having been set free from the alternate reality of a movie set. What was one of my first orders of business? I went to the movies. Why not really? Actual human interaction of overrated, if you ask me.

I went and saw Batman Begins and The Perfect Man. Holy opposite movies Batman. One was shot entirely in the dark and the other one was shot entirely in a world where Heather Locklear has trouble finding a date. I guess that too would be a dark world.

The two movies were good, but the most exciting part of my Movie Day came during the previews, when the screen was still black. Six little piano notes came on and I about peed I was so excited (that and it was my second movie, so I’d already had a large Coke). Do you know the notes I’m talking about? “Dun…..dun…..dun, dun, daah, dah.” !!!!! Those marked the first six notes of the preview for RENT The Movie. !!!!! RENT, for those of you questioning the exclamation points, is a Broadway musical. I friggin’ LOVE it. I’m using all caps. I’m using exclamation points. I do not hand either one of those out lightly.

I like RENT. A lot.

Years ago I heard one of the RENT songs on TV and thought it was good, and so I bought the tape. I had a crappy car at the time and when I put the tape in, it refused to spit it out for approximately two months. I’d only really wanted to hear one song, instead I heard the first half of the show. Over and over and over and over again. When I finally got the tape out I stupidly put in the second tape. When my quality tape player ate that one for a month I became very familiar with the second half as well.

So basically by the time I saw the actual show on stage I already had the whole thing memorized. We’re talking every single word.

I once walked into a job interview and the guy interviewing me had a RENT poster above his desk. I said I loved the show and then proceeded to sing one of the songs with him. Word for word. He hired me on the spot. We did many an impromptu RENT dance number during my time working with him. Much to the confusion of our co-workers.

But now those co-workers will finally stop being confused. They’ll see the preview of RENT and say, “Oh, THAT’S what those two were trying to sing.”

I’m a little worried how the movie is going to turn out, and if people are going to go see it. The stage show is entirely sung, there isn’t really much regular talking. What if people don’t buy into a world where everyone sings all the time?

But then again, I just spent 10 bucks on a man in a bat costume and another $15 on a popcorn and coke combo that actually had the word “Deal” written next to it. I’m thinking movie audiences will buy into pretty much anything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot belive you saw The Perfect Man with Heather Locklear. Wow. I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

*Phantom of the Opera* movie was almost entirely singing, and I think it did pretty well, so your RENT may have a chance.