Friday, May 19, 2006

Child

Bad News: It’s 8 a.m.
Worse News: I’ve been up for over an hour.

What the?

My aunt has left the country and left me in charge of a child. My aunt is a misguided person.

I’ve had the child for over 12 hours and she is still alive, which I think is commendable. I’ve provided her with the major meals and the occasional hug. I even watched some quality television with her. It’s all quite exciting.

Less exciting? The fact that children get up before 7 a.m. Lord in heaven this is not good. Thankfully this child knows better than to wake me up before 7 a.m., but still, it just ain’t right. And then there is this whole long drawn out process of getting off to school. She gets ready, we cook breakfast, she eats (very slowly), we play with the dog, she puts on her shoes (even slower), and then I wave goodbye as she rides away on her bike. I yelled, “Don’t do drugs!” as she rode away, cause that’s what parents do, right? She yelled back, “I’ll try not to!”

My usual morning routine is very different from the one I just experienced. First of all it takes place in the afternoon. Second of all it takes all of about 15 minutes and usually involves me running around like a chicken with my head cut off. There is no leisurely pace, there is only trying to sleep in as long as humanly possible, and then trying to get out the door in record time. There definitely isn’t time for things like eating while sitting down and jovial conversation.

I have the child for a little over a week - I may need to do some of those drugs I warned her about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations...MOM!
A week will be a good run for you. Just enough of a flavor, without the insanity. When you go into two weeks the child will become more "normal" and less "vacationish".

Hope your Aunt doesn't stay an extra week. If so, I am sure we can find you a good asylum to go live at.

Chunks said...

Let me know if you need any help via the internet of course, there is no way I am travelling that far! How old is the twerp? If you run across anything you can't handle, ask Chunks. Haha!

tornwordo said...

Just forget about your preferred sleep patterns. You can have them back next week.

An any rate, I expect more blog fodder from this. And that can only be good. (well, for us anyway)

Patricia said...

oh this is gonna be good. from our side, at least. details. we want details. i'll already assume they're gonna be excruciating.