Tuesday, July 19, 2005

She’s Every Woman

Never has there been a greater American Tragedy than poor Whitney Houston. She was an innocent young thing, just wanting to dance with somebody and then she rose up to fame (the good kind) and then plummeted to fame (the bad kind). And now she has a reality show. Because when people in Hollywood can’t get anyone to give them a job they just create their own job by hiring a camera crew to follow them around. Because who needs talent when you can just videotape yourself eating fancy dinners and shopping a lot?

So you know the summer months are bleak in the way of TV programming, cause I’ve actually seen Bobby and Whitney’s show a few times. (That and it’s on Bravo, which replays things 435 a week, so it’s hard to miss.) I’m not really sure what to make of the whole thing. Other than it seems weird to me to that I’m watching a show that very well could be used as evidence in a court of law at some point.

Bobby sways between using the f-word as a term of endearment to using it as a warning of empending ass-whoopings. And then he drinks a beer. And a vodka. And a shot. The man enjoys his liquor. And then Whitney says, “Aw, hell no.” And you almost think maybe she’s temporarily awakened from her 20 year stupor and is looking around at her life, and that’s the only response she can come up with. And then their poor daughter wanders in the room and you wonder if maybe she is hoping to use the tapes of the show to help her in her emancipation efforts.

Cause her parents are crazy. And not in a good Osborne way either. I mean, I don’t even think British accents would help out Bobby and Whitney. And British accents make everyone seem a little better.

But at least their daughter has siblings to share in her pain. Even though I have no idea where the siblings came from. Every once in awhile a new Brown kid shows up. Now, I’m all about mixed families, BUT has anyone noticed that Bobby’s son is younger than his daughter with Whitney? Hmmm. So, I’m not that great at math, but I’m thinking that his son (who is not Whitney’s son) was born AFTER his daughter. And AFTER his daughter was born he was probably still married to Whitney. (“Aw, hell no.”) Unless I missed something. Which is quite possible. I’m way too sober to be watching this show and actually take in all that is happening.

I’m pretty sure the whole show is just a big show, that Bobby is acting for the cameras. But only someone who is crazy would act as stupid as he does in front of the cameras. Newsflash: If everyone thinks you’re nuts – try not to release video proving them right.

Sweet Mary, when is summer TV over? I don’t know how much more I can take.

4 comments:

Tye said...

Hey, I just came across your blog. It is a pretty sad sight to see Whitney fall so far. Anyway summer tv is quite bad. I guess they believe people lose any capacity to think at all. What can you do? You should be out and about anyway.....right??

Anonymous said...

I watched it twice and can't watch it again. Whitney in a stupor, Bobby drunk all the time, giving SEX advice to his teen daughter, trying to show what a man he is by trying to have sex with Whitney in both shows and previews of the next. Running around saying, "I'm bobby brown," cause he wants stuff for free and no one recognizes him. Sad, sad, sad.

gina
http://findingmygroove.blog-city.com

Playground In My Mind said...

color me dumb...had no idea that she had a reality show. now THAT in my opinion is the true measure of a has-been..anything for a buck. gotta support that druggie husband and herself...sigh. fallen so far from grace. she was so wonderful pre-bobby. I found via ro's blog. thanks, renee

Anonymous said...

Y'know, since I don't believe in paying more than half my salary to Comcast for 'premium' channels like HBO, I have come up with a rather ingenious way to beat the summer T.V. blues...I wait until The Sopranos comes out on DVD and then treat myself to a three episode fix on my designated T.V. night (yes, there is only room for one with my full schedule of non-dysfunctional social drinking, trips to the gym, and dilligent lawn maintenance). "The Sopranos" is every bit as value added in terms of drunken stupors, ass whuppins' and wasted lives, and best of all, it's make-believe! The actors are getting paid to ACT like cretins, not BE cretins! What a concept: Non-Reality Reality T.V. Sort of like "The Real Gilligan's Island" (and sort of not). Get on it, Dawn...