Thursday, July 28, 2005

Short Attention Span Reality

You know what I hate about reality shows? (Besides the fact that no one has offered me a gig on one) I REALLY hate how they feel the need to tell you what is coming up after the commercial break. Dude, it’s TWO MINUTES from now, do I really need a sneak preview? No. How bout trying something crazy like, and I’m just throwing around ideas here, letting the audience WAIT TWO WHOLE minutes and see for THEMSELVES what is going to happen on the show?

I know, I know. It’s nuts. I know that every time I’m watching a show and it goes to commercial I’m thinking, “God, if ONLY I knew RIGHT NOW what was going to happen after this commercial break, I’d totally stick around and watch the rest of this show. But I don’t know what is going to happen, so I am going to go ahead and change the channel now and take my viewership elsewhere. Maybe I’ll go watch a rerun…cause then I’ll be guaranteed to know what is coming.”

It’s ridiculous.

I already refuse to watch any previews for any upcoming shows because they totally ruin the show. “Next week on ER…the most EXPLOSIVE ER EVER!” And then they proceed to fit every key scene from the next week into a 30 second preview. Making it pointless to even watch the show. So every week I fast forward past the previews and then spend the rest of the week adverting my eyes every time a preview comes on. It takes a lot of effort and concentration on my part to be able to watch my favorite shows and actually be surprised. And I generally don’t exert effort in haphazard fashion.

But then the damn reality producers decide to put the previews IN the damn shows. And they ruin everything. All my hard work and determination shot. With one little, “Still ahead…”

Bastards.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop with the TV!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Heather.

Anonymous said...

I agree with heather and anonymous.--bl

dawn said...

I agree that if Heather and Anonymous and BL want to read about something other than TV they are more than welcome to write their own blogs every day. As they can barely muster up a 5 word sentence every two months I'm thinking this might not be an option for them.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are a little *sensitive* about this? That was more than 5 words, right?

Anonymous said...

Haha. The comments page is funnier than your TV blogs! (Was that mean?)